Monday 9 December 2019

ONL 192 - Topic 5: Final reflection on ONL




With this final reflection ends my fast and furious learning experience in ONL192 😊. I am absolutely thrilled by this extremely intense time with fantastic new insides, great collaboration experience and countless opportunities to reflect on the blended learning scenario we have established for our part-time students at my university. An extremely intensive, but great and rewarding time!





I think problem-based learning and my collaboration experience in the PBL group are two of the most important things that I have learnt through ONL and which will definitely have impact on my work as a program manager.  
Looking back to my first blogpost I was really keen on learning about problem-based learning (PBL). Going through ONL I found, that this approach could be a good opportunity to enrich the modules in our professional part-time programs, which right now focus mainly on project-based learning. During a 3-4 months period students have to complete a work-related group-project by developing and presenting solutions and strategies for a specific problem. PBL gives a chance to open up this strong/common focus on the project and offers students to focus on their own learning interest/experience, e.g. working on different themes within a common topic and share as well as discuss the findings.
In addition to that, I really enjoyed to learn about the facilitator role during our PBL group work and I am sure, this experience will influence further thinking about the actual “lecturer/expert-mentor-model” we use right now.

Worth mentioning for influencing my professional practice is definitely the great collaborating experience with my PBL group 10. How interesting and exciting to take the time getting started to really discuss and collaborate on specific topics. After having done many group works mainly by co-operating, this real collaboration experience was new to me and would may be new to some of our part-time students as well. Along with this collaborating experience I realized that amongst others the following three points help to build and maintain collaborative work:   

  • participation through social and emotional presence and
  • meaningful group or individual activities, which require to
  • constantly submit work/results (producing artifacts– e.g. like words, concepts, stories, documents,…)

Furthermore, it was extremely educational being forced to use new tools and really work with them. Although knowing some of the tools, I never used them in practice.

Finally: Thanks to my PBL group 10 and our great facilitators Diane and Sinako. Our facilitators did a great job by smoothly handing over the responsibility for our group and individual learning processes. Thanks so much to both facilitators and my PBL group 10 for this fantastic, deep learning experience!


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for always sharing your experiences and bringing such enthusiasm to the group. It has been a pleasure to work with you and I really enjoyed the Topic that you and Nina co facilitated, it really got me thinking and engaging with the content. I agree that collaboration was a valuable lesson in this course. I also enjoyed the focus on the different presences.
    Happy holidays Biana the blogger to you and the family.... Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very enjoyable blog to read! Thank you for interesting views and experiences during the course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bianca for the really inspiring summary! Marja E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Bianca for your reflection and summary and the previous blog posts. Great to see that ONL affects the teaching and conceptual approach that participants take! Please let us know if ONL has really changed your strategies! And stick around in the ONL community!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Bianca, for sharing your reflection with us. Like Jamie, I truly enjoyed your enthusiasm in the PBL work and interest in trying new things. Your positive personality is a plus to any group! Enjoy the holiday season! Diane

    ReplyDelete